What is Coaching Foundations?
This program is intended to equip you to develop your foundation in the Word, the Christian Coaching Model, and leaning into the Holy Spirit when meeting with people. We are offer a blend of biblical truths and practical tools including DISC Personality, Emotional Intelligence, boundaries, communication strategies, asking powerful questions and listening effectively. This course is for pastors, church staff, and volunteers in frontline ministry, small group leadership, marriage ministry, recovery and care ministries, mens and women’s ministry and more. It doesn’t matter if you get paid to do ministry or not– it matters how God is using you and the situations he is calling you to. This live, interactive online course will prepare you to walk alongside others in a powerful, transformational way. We come from a Christian worldview (here’s what we believe) and infer a reliance on God to do the work, a desire to seek Scripture for truths about helping people, and the humility to serve the Lord.
You will be challenged from various angles in this 10-week program. This course is offered completely via live video, with many opportunities for class participation (audio and visual) as well as group work. This class is limited to 12 students and is taught by Scott and Abigail Doust. Think you may want to add on 6 more weeks and get your Life Coach Certification? Check out what the full 16-weeks looks like.
Overall Objectives of the 10-week program:
- Personal growth and awareness of how we are wired and how that impacts us doing ministry
- Understanding how others are wired and what they need
- Clarification of the distinction between mentorship, discipleship, and coaching
- Mastery of the Christian Coach Model
- Experience developing powerful questions and improve listening skills
- Awareness of ICF Competencies
- Equipped with skills in Christian coaching, including the use of Scripture and spiritual discernment
- Understanding of DISC Personality Model, emotional intelligence, and personal and professional boundaries
- Experience being coached for 2 sessions
- Explore practical tools of Relationship Experts
- Practice coaching others (partner coaching)
- Read assigned books, articles, and papers; listen to short videos
- Write short answers about the week’s homework
- Be coached by a professional coach 2 times (and write a short evaluation of the session)
- Coach a classmate 2 times
How much does it cost?
The entire 10-week program is only $997! *Scholarships and payment plans are available. Your church may also scholarship you by donating to Relationship Experts and making a note for the money to go toward your program. The program can be paid for in 2 or 4 installments to make it easier for you to participate. Have a spouse that wants to get trained as well? We offer a spouse rate of only $600 if you take the course within the same year. Please contact us for more information and to work together to get the training you need.
If you decide to move onto our secondary training course for Life Coach Certification, it is easy to keep going and become a Certified Professional Life Coach. That program is 6 weeks long and begins right after this ends. Life Coach Certification costs $997 for one person which a spouse discounted rate of only $600.
We hope you will bring yourself to the table! Bring your gifts and skills and an open mind about how God might equip you and use you to minister to others. Carve out class time (Tuesdays 5:30-8:30 pm central) and a few hours for homework each week Homework includes 3-7 hours of reading, watching videos, partner work, applying what you are learning.
Please come ready to engage! We expect you turn off the other demands of life and connect with others in the class. We meet by video on Zoom and your video will be up and you can share and ask questions as if you were in a traditional classroom.
Module One- Personality
- How Did God Make You? (the impact of your personality on your ministry)
- How Did God Make Others? (and how you can adapt to minister to others more effectively)
- Introduction of Coaching Competencies
- Mentoring, Coaching, and Discipling Different Personalities
- Growing in Powerful Questions
Module Two – Bible & Discipleship
- How to Read and Study the Bible Effectively
- How to Use Scripture in Context and with Love
- The Role of the Holy Spirit
- Christian Coaching Model – Jesus and the Coaching
Module Three – Developing Healthy People
- How to Increase Your EQ (and those you work with)
- How to Develop Healthy Boundaries in Your Life (and help develop them in others)
- The Power of Relationship
- Differentiating between Coaching, Counseling, Mentoring, and Discipleship and Communicating Expectations
Module Four – Caring for Real People with Real Issues
- How to Walk Alongside Grieving People (death, divorce, change, deep loss)
- The Power of Forgiveness
- A Practical Understanding of People and Change
- The Sin Cycle
- Ministering to Struggles in Marriage
- Equipping Others with the Tools to Communicate Effectively (listen well, resolve conflict, understand each other)
- How to Minister to Christians and People without Faith and Meeting them on their Journey
*Modules are subject to change at the discretion of the instructors. This is intended to give you an idea of how the content is organized.
Required and Recommended Texts
Required Texts (borrow or buy, paper or Kindle):
- Christian Coaching: Helping Others Turn Potential into Reality, 2nd Edition-Revised, and Expanded, by Gary R. Collins Ph.D., NAVPRESS / 2009.
- Coaching Questions: A Coach’s Guide to Powerful Asking Skills. 2008, Tony Stoltzfus.
- Emotional Intelligence 2.0. by Travis Bradberry and Jean Greaves. 2009
- Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life. 1992, by Henry Cloud, John Townsend.
Recommended Texts (optional):
- The Power of Relationship: The Startling Effect People Have on You by Dr. Henry Cloud
- Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being 2012 by Martin E. P. Seligman
- Forgotten God, by Francis Chan and Danae Yankoski
- Practicing Positive Psychology Coaching by Biswas-Dinier
- Relationship Coaching: The theory and practice of coaching with singles, couples, and parents. By Yossi Ives, Elaine Cox
- Your Life in Rhythm. 2013. By Bruce B. Miller
- The Art of Asking: Ask Better Questions, Get Better Answers. 2008. by Terry J. Fadem.
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business. By Charles Duhigg
- Hope-Focused Marriage Counseling: A Guide to Brief Therapy. 2005 By Everett L. Worthington Jr.
- How to Solve the People Puzzle, Understanding Personality. 2008 by Mels Carbonell
- Why You Do the Things You Do: The Secret to Healthy Relationships. 2006 by Tim Clinton and Gary Sibcy
It all comes down to calendar sometimes. Here’s the skinny:
Class meets online on Tuesday evenings from 5:30-8:30 pm central time.
We start fall 2020 on Aug 11 and finish on Dec 8. Class will NOT be held on Sept 8 (due to Labor Day weekend) or Nov 24 (Thanksgiving).om 5:30-8:30 pm central time. We start on Jan 7 and finish on March 17. Class will NOT be held on March 10 (Spring Break).
You are permitted to miss 1 class if you need to, and you can watch the recording of that class afterward.
There is an application process due to the nature of the course. We want to make sure it will be a good fit for you, and that you are a good fit for the course.
For immediate help in registering for this course, contact us.